- Added to Suggested Reading - Personal Accounts: Congratulations! It's Asperger Syndrome (Jen Birch.)
- Added to Suggested Reading - Children : Jarvis Clutch: Social Spy (Melvin Levine.)
- Added to Suggested Reading and to Suggested Reading - Self-help: Ask and Tell: Self-Advocacy and Disclosure for People on the Autism Spectrum (Ruth Elaine Joyner Hane, Kassiane Sibley, Stephen M. Shore, Roger Meyer, Phil Schwarz, Liane Holliday Willey.)
- Added to Other Support: ASCEND, an Asperger Syndrome information alliance for Southeastern Pennsylvania.
- Added to Suggested Reading - Education: Incorporating Social Goals in the Classroom: A Guide for Teachers and Parents of Children with High-Functioning Autism and Asperger Syndrome (Rebecca A. Moyes, Susan Moreno.)
- Added to Suggested Reading - Education: Addressing the Challenging Behavior of Children with High-Functioning Autism/Asperger Syndrome in the Classroom: A Guide for Teachers and Parents (Rebecca A. Moyes.)
- Added to Useful Ideas: Your Next Patient Has Autism (brochure.)
- Added to Internet Support: Autism Town Meeting, a discussion list for autistic self-advocates, following from ideas at the Autism Town Meeting at ASA 2003 in Pittsburgh.
- Added to Internet Resources: Toys
- Added to Internet Support: WrongPlanet.net for people with Asperger's, parents and professionals.
- Added to Internet Resources - Science: Autism Watch
- Added to main menu: Button to join AHA_AS_PDD announcement list, which is replacing the mass-mailing list. It will now be your responsibility to join the new list, where you will be able to get these interesting and informative member mailings.
- Updated In the News/TV: Autism TV Schedule up through late February 2004.
- Added to Suggested Reading List and to Booklist - Educational: Quirky Kids: Understanding and Helping Your Child Who Doesn't Fit In - When to Worry and When Not to Worry (Perri Klass, Eileen Costello) and Voodoo Science: The Road from Foolishness to Fraud (Robert L. Park.)
- Added to Suggested Reading List and to Booklist - Personal Reflections: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Mark Haddon.)
- Added to Booklist - Educational: You're Going to Love This Kid!: Teaching Students with Autism in the Inclusive Classroom (Paula Kluth.)
- Added to Booklist - Personal Reflections: Asperger's Syndrome in Adolescence: Living with the Ups, the Downs and Things in Between (Liane Holliday Willey (editor), Luke Jackson.)
- Added to AHA Meetings: Family Bowling in Nassau begins December 14th at Baldwin Lanes.
- Added to Other Support: GRASP.
- Added to Surveys and Studies: Two Studies Coordinated by Brenda Smith Myles, Ph.D. and colleagues.
- Added to Internet Resources - Adults: In The News: Listing of Videos for November 1 through early January, and updated TV Schedule.
- Added to Internet Resources and to Other Support: Information on CHADD (Children & Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder.)
- Added to Internet Resources: Adolescent Health Transition Project.
Separated the Application page into AHA/AS/PDD Brochure and AHA/AS/PDD Application, each with downloads.
- Added to Internet Support: Information on Yahoo Groups.
- Added to Surveys and Studies: Doctoral Student's Questionnaire Directed Towards Parents.
- Changed in AHA/AS/PDD Meetings: Date of the April Conference - to April 25, 2004.
- Added to Announcements: The Cody Center Third Annual Conference for Primary Care Practitioners.
- Added to Internet Resources - Government & Legal : N Y S Education - Pupil Transportation.
- Added to AHA/AS/PDD Meetings: announcement of FAMILY BOWLING, a new monthly event.
- Added to AHA/AS/PDD Meetings: link to downloadable brochure for fall conference.
- Added to In the News: Listing of Videos for September 1 through October 31, and updated TV schedule.
- Added section for Nassau County Evening Support Group.
- Added to Social Skills Programs: Social Connection Center - Melville (ages 3-12)
- Added to Internet Resources: Office of Mental Retardation & Developmental Disabilities.
- Added section for Adult Asperger Syndrome/High Functioning Autism Support.
- Added to Internet Resources: Autism . Arts . Art . ARTwork . Gallery.
- Added to Other Support: The Elija Foundation.
- Available at AHA/AS/PDD Meetings and Conferences: Older Teen & Adult Conference Audio Information.
- Added to Booklist - Educational: Relationship Development Intervention with Children, Adolescents, and Adults: Social and Emotional Development Activities for Asperger Syndrome, Autism, PDD and NLD (Stephen E. Gutstein, Rachelle K. Sheely)
- Added to Articles/News/TV: Updated TV Schedule and Listing of Videos for March through early May.
- Added to Surveys and Studies: Opportunity to Participate in a Cody Center Neuroimaging Study.
- Added to In the News/TV: Modifications to the TV Schedule Channels and Times and a Listing of new Videos in the Series for January-February 2003.
- Added to Internet Resources - Adults: Mission Possible - An interesting employment concept for people with Asperger Syndrome.
- Added to Surveys & Studies: A Study in Investigating Genetic Factors in Autism and Related Disorders from the Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
- Added to Internet Resources - Science & Medication Information: Institute for Vaccine Safety.
- Added to AHA/AS/PDD Meetings: information on the April 12, 2003 Issues in Independent Living Conference at Roslyn High School, with a talk by Stephen Shore on Disclosure and an Adult Panel. Cosponsored by AHA/AS/PDD, Nassau Suffolk Services for the Autistic, the Cody Center, and the Adult Asperger Syndrome Support Group of NYC.
- Added to Articles/News/TV: Updated the Video Schedule through early January 2003.
- Added to Internet Resources - Adults: Ticket to Work and Transition Quality Online Help.
- Added to Suggested Reading - Top Recommendations and Suggested Reading - Education: Asperger Syndrome and Your Child: A Parent's Guide (Michael Powers, Psy.D.).
- Added to Suggested Reading - Education: Autism - Asperger's and Sexuality: Puberty and Beyond (Jerry Newport, Mary Newport).
- Added to AHA/AS/PDD Meetings and Conferences - On March 10, 2003, Temple Grandin will speak at C. W. Post in an event which we will copresent with NAAR and the David Center.
- Added to Internet Resources - Educational & Support: Autism/PDD Resources.
- Added to Suggested Reading - Personal Reflections: An Asperger Marriage (Gisela Slater-Walker, Christopher Slater-Walker.)
- Added to Internet Resources - Personal Reflections: Asperger Marriage Website.
- Added to In the News: Programming in Manhattan via MNN, Channel 56.
- Added to Suggested Reading - Top Recommendations and Suggested Reading - Education : Educating Children with Autism (National Research Council), which can also be accessed online.
- Added to Articles/News/TV: The Autism TV Schedule has now been updated through October 2002.
- Updated in AHA/AS/PDD Meetings: Information on the October 21-22 Twelfth Annual Educational Profile of Higher Functioning School Age Children with Asperger Syndrome, High-Functioning Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders Meeting, with Application Form.
- Added to Suggested Reading-Top Recommendations: We now also link to the Autism Asperger Publishing Company (AAPC).
- Added to Suggested Reading-Education: No One to Play With (Betty B. Osman.)
- Added to Suggested Reading-Education: Getting Services for Your Child on the Autism Spectrum (Matthew G. Foley, Deann Hyatt-Foley, Carol Gray.)
- Added to Suggested Reading-Top Recommendations and Suggested Reading-Education : How Well Does Your IEP Measure Up: Quality Indicators for Effective Service Delivery (Diane Twachtman-Cullen, Jennifer Twachtman-Reilly.)
- Added to Meetings and Conferences-AHA/AS/PDD: Splish Splash (August 13th.)
- Added to Other Support: Nassau Suffolk Autism Society of America (NSASA).
- Added to Social Skills Programs: Social Skills Building for Children via the Ezra Center for Children's Services.
- Added to Suggested Reading - Personal Accounts: A Different Kind of Boy: A Father's Memoir about Raising a Child with Autism (Daniel Mont.)
- Added to Internet Resources: Cody Center for Autism.
- Added to Articles/News/TV: Revised times for and added to Autism Cable TV schedule.
- Added to Booklist - Educational: Challenging Behavior and Autism: Making Sense-Making Progress (Philip Whitaker.)
- Added to Resources - Social Skills: All for Kids Weekend Socialization Program - Glen Cove.
- Added to Suggested Reading - Personal Reflections: Elijah's Cup: A Family's Journey into the Community and Culture of High-Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome (Valerie Paradiz.)
- Updated Courses & Seminars: Updated with information on Fall 2002 University of Albany Foundation Course.
- Added to In the News: Time Magazine May 6th 2002 article.
Updated Contacts: Adult Issues- Bernice's phone number is now (631) 269-5709 and her email is [email protected]
- Added to Useful Ideas & Videos: Other Recommendations from Dr. Brenda Smith Myles.
- Added to Self-Help Books: How Rude!: The Teenagers' Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior and Not Grossing People Out (Alex J. Packer, Pamela Espeland, and Jeff Tolbert.)
- Added to Self-Help Books: A Little Book of Manners : Etiquette for Young Ladies (Emilie Barnes, Michal Sparks, Anne Christian Buchanan.)
- Added to Self-Help Books: Oops! : The Manners Guide for Girls (Nancy Holyoke, Debbie Tilley.)
- Added to Summer Programs: Information on Camp Determination (Kansas City) and Camp Summit (Honesdale, PA.)
- Changed on Contacts: Adult Issues Contact (Bernice's) Phone #.
- Added to Web Resources - Educational and Support: Spanish Autism Resources.
- April is Autism Month - we are learning of new conferences regularly. Please continue to pay note to the meetings & conferences pages, since new information will be posted there throughout this month.
- Added to Booklist - Educational: How To Be a Para Pro: a Comprehensive Training Manual For Paraprofessionals (Diane Twachtman-Cullen, PhD, David DeLorenzo.)
- Added to Reading List - Childrens' Books: Trevor Trevor (Diane Twachtman-Cullen, Deidre Sassano.)
- Added to Internet Resources: Siblings on Siblings
- Added to Meetings & Conferences: LAUGH WELL 2002 Comedy Night (May 8th.)
- Added to Booklist - Educational: The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child (Lawrence M. Siegel.)
- Added to Booklist - Educational: Wrightslaw : Special Education Law (Peter W.D. Wright, Pamela Darr Wright.)
- Added to Articles/News/TV: Asperger's Spectrum Disorder: Sorting It Out.
Name of In the News/TV page changed to Articles/News/TV.
- Resources page separated into Resources - Afterschool and Programs - Social Skills.
- Added to Internet Resources - Educational and Support: Intro to Autism - OOOPS - Wrong Planet.
- Added to In the News/TV: Autism Cable TV Schedule for March through early May 2002
- Added to Suggested Reading - Educational: Just Say Know!: Understanding and Reducing the Risk of Sexual Victimization (Dave Hingsburger).
- Added to Suggested Reading - Personal Reflections: Your Life is Not a Label: A Guide to Living Fully with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome (Jerry Newport).
- Added to AHA/AS/PDD Meetings: Dinner in Honor of Pat Long.
- Added to AHA/AS/PDD Meetings: The Pajama Game.
- Added to Other Support: The David Center.
- Added to Internet Resources Science and Medication Information: Pediatric Neurology.
- Added to Other Support: Asperger's Association of New England.
- Added to Courses and Seminars: Workshop on Applied Behavior Analysis for Autistic Children to be held at Southampton College of Long Island University.
- Added to Programs: Power Pals.
- Added to Reading List- Personal Accounts: Asperger's Syndrome, the Universe and Everything: Kenneth's Book (Kenneth Hall).
- Added to Booklist - Educational: Play and Imagination in Children with Autism (Pamela J. Wolfberg).
- Added to Booklist - Educational (also to Personal Accounts) : Asperger's: What Does It Mean to Me? (Catherine Faherty, Dr Gary Mesibov).
- Added to Booklist - Educational: Autism, Advocates and Law Enforcement Professionals: Recognizing and Reducing Risk Situations for People with Autism Spectrum Disorders (Dennis Debbaudt)
- Added to Suggested Reading List: Finding Out about Asperger's Syndrome, High-Functioning Autism and PDD (Gunilla Gerland)
- Added to Booklist - Educational: (also a top recommended item) Asperger's Syndrome and Adolescence: Practical Solutions for School Success (Brenda Smith Myles, Diane Adreon)
- Added to Reading List - Personal Accounts: Beyond the Wall : Personal Experiences with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome (Stephen M. Shore)
Added to Children's Books: Why is Everybody Picking on Me?: A Guide to Understanding Bullies for Young People.
- Added to Summer Programs: Wongaratta Programs.
- Added to Social Skills Programs: Bonnie Jan.
- Added to Social Skills Programs: Wongaratta Programs - Winter & Summer Travel.
- Added to Social Skills Programs: YAI/Valerie Gaus.
- Added to Reading List - Educational: Keys to Dealing with Bullies.
- Added to Reading List - Childrens' Books: Bullies are a Pain in the Brain and How to Do Homework Without Throwing Up.
- Added to In the News/TV: Updates to Video Schedule through December.
- Added to Internet Support: ASPIRES.
- Added to In the News/TV: Further updates to the Autism Cable TV Schedule (Broadcast Times and List of Videos.)
- Added to In the News/TV: Updates to the Autism Video Schedule.
- Added a page on the upcoming Walk FAR for NAAR.
- Added to Courses and Seminars: A New Paraprofessional Training Course for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- Added to Other Support: Farmington Valley Aspergers Network (Simsbury, CT).
- Added to In the News: Siblings of Disabled Children Have Own Special Needs from New York Times, March 6 2001.
- Added to In the News: Asperger's Syndrome Makes Fitting In a Complicated Challenge from October 26, 2000 ABC News Special.
- Added to Reading List- Family Issues: Autism/Asperger's: Solving the Relationship Puzzle.
- Added to Programs: HorseAbility Therapeutic Horseback Riding Program and Camp HorseAbility Day Camp.
- Added to Reading List- Childrens' Books: This is Asperger Syndrome.
- Added to Reading List: The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insights and Inspiration.
- Added to Courses & Seminars: Overview course on Autism and Related Disorders given by V. Mark Durand at 10 locations throughout New York this fall- see http://www.albany.edu/tree-tops/docs.psy/autism/aden_f01_course.html
- Added to Personal Reflections: Late Diagnosis and Transition Issues, a contribution by Bernice Polinsky.
- Added to Web Resources: M.I.N.D. Institute.
- Added to Programs: Social Skills Programs Section.
- Added to Web Resources: Association for Science in Autism Treatment.
- Added to In the News/TV: Autism Video Schedule.
- Revised important contact numbers (phone and fax.)
- Added to the Personal Accounts portion of the Recommended Reading section: a new book by Stephen Shore.
- Added to Web Resources: The Gray Center.
- Added to Other Support: Connecticut Autism Spectrum Resource Center.
- Added to Other Meetings: the date, September 29, for this year's Walk F.A.R. for NAAR.
- Added to Surveys & Studys: information and a questionnaire for an Adelphi University Virtual Reality Study.
- Added to the Recommended Reading section: a Self-Help Books page
- Added to the Useful Ideas and Videos page: an instructional set of highly recommended Videos on AS, HFA and PDD, featuring Tony Attwood, Liane Willey, and Sally Bligh, a Speech and Language Professional
- Added to the Useful Ideas and Videos page: a highly recommended video, Success in the Mainstream Classroom.
AHA/AS/PDD does not endorse or recommend any product or treatment. This site is intended for informational purposes only. Please consult with experienced professionals to determine the most effective treatment for your own child as each child and situation are unique.